What is a Credit Score?
A credit score is a numerical representation of a person’s creditworthiness derived from their financial history. In India, Credit Information Bureau (India) Limited (CIBIL) is the most widely recognized entity that calculates credit scores, ranging from 300 to 900. Credit bureaus evaluate factors like your loan payment history, type and size of your credit, credit mix, and other factors to calculate this score.
How is a Credit Score calculated?
It is determined using a mixture of these central features:
- Repayment History: Timely repayment of loan and credit card dues.
- Credit Exposure: Total amount of credit limit used.
- Length of Credit History: The time period over which a credit account is active.
- Credit Type and Duration: Optimal mix of secured (home loan, auto loan) and unsecured loans (personal loans, credit cards).
- Other Factors: Recent credit behaviour and job stability.
It’s noteworthy that each credit agency utilizes its unique algorithm, hence, scores can vary slightly across different credit bureaus.
Factors Affecting Credit Scores
Several aspects can positively or negatively impact credit scores:
- Payment History: Delayed or defaulted payments could lead to decreasing scores.
- High Credit Utilization Ratio: Spending a sizable fraction of your credit limit regularly.
- Multiple Loan Enquiries: Applying for multiple loans or credit cards can portray credit-hunger behaviour.
- Lesser Secured Loans: A higher amount of unsecured loans (credit card or personal loans) can hamper the score.
Consequences of a Bad Credit Score
A low credit score can adversely affect your financial profile. Here are some implications:
- Loan Approval: Lenders might reject your loan application because of unreliable credit behaviour.
- Interest Rate: Lenders might impose a higher interest rate for borrowers with a low credit score.
- Credit Limit: Credit card companies might offer a lower limit.
- Insurance Premiums: Some insurance companies charge higher premiums for individuals with low score.
Advantages of a Good Credit Score
On the other side, a good credit score brings several benefits:
- Faster loan approval
- Access to better interest rates
- Higher bargaining power
- Approval for higher credit limits
How to Improve Your Credit Score?
Improving one’s credit score doesn’t happen overnight. Here are crucial steps to consider:
- Ensure timely payment of dues
- Maintain a low credit utilization ratio
- Avoid making multiple credit or loan applications
- Maintain a healthy mix of secured and unsecured credit
- Monitor your credit report regularly for discrepancies
- Try to have a long credit history
By following the above steps, it’s feasible to improve and maintain a healthy credit score.
In conclusion, a good credit score is not only beneficial for obtaining credit but also provides significant financial certainty. This guide should help you understand its importance and strategies to improve it, moving you towards achieving your financial goals. Make sure you keep tracking, managing, and aiming to improve your score for a secure financial future.
Need to talk more about this or any other issue related to personal finance? Please feel free to call or book a no-charge consultation with me on this link. (https://calendly.com/rakeshgoyal). Confidentiality is assured.
As you are aware, I send out a regular email with an in-depth analysis of relevant topics around personal finance. If your friends, coursemates, or relatives wish to join the mailing list (with over 4400+ people already subscribed), they can signup here
To remain updated on money matters, join our telegram group “Lets Invest Wisely” at https://t.me/+SB3F7hQPbxNlMTc1
Lets Invest Wisely, a leading financial services firm helps you with
- Prioritizing your financial goals with a customised investment plan
- Retirement plan based on your specific requirements
- Tax planning,
- Insurance planning,
- Wealth creation and
- Estate Planning
We help you invest through mutual funds, Portfolio Management Services(PMS), Corporate FDs, and Term Insurance to protect your family from financial loss in case of loss of life and plan distribution of your assets to your next generation through estate planning (Writing of Will, creation of a family trust, etc)
Contact us at 7341137190 or mail us at [email protected]